10.22.2009

0 350 - What Can You Do. Part 1


Here are some bigger things you can do to reduce the amount of greenhouse gas emissions you and your family are producing.


Hybrid Car
Do you ever think about buying a hybrid to reduce your carbon footprint? I know I do. Our next vehicle will most definitly be one. I would get one now but it doesn't make sense to buy one when our current vehicle is still relatively new and in fantastic condition. Really when you think about it, that would be worse for the environment because we would be getting rid of a perfectly good car and having all the energy expended to make a new one for us. So we will wait...and I will continue to hope that Mazda will get their act together and design a hybrid otherwise Toyota here we come.

Geothermal Heating and Cooling
One day we would like to buy a piece of property and build a house. If we do I would love to install geothermal heating and cooling. It is expensive and the pay back is ridiculously long but I believe it would be worth it. If you haven't heard of geothermal heating and cooling before check it out.

Solar Heating
We have talked about putting a pool in. If (or as Joe says when) we do we will also be installing solar panels to heat it. My dad did this on their pool when we were kids and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I had no idea that it would end up being trendy. If your roof is the right size and pitch for solar panels it is a great way to save some money and also heat a pool or even power part or all of your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment