10.06.2010

1 Do you have "a line"?


A few weeks ago I engaged in a discussion on Twitter with @goodhuman about if there were companies that you could never work for regardless of the pay. I explained how I used to work in the chemical industry and how I felt I had a positive impact while I was there. I do not feel like I sold my soul to the devil. I have been thinking more and more about this conversation and trying to figure out what my "line" is. I know I have one...I know I would not work for certain companies. But who are they? The one's that quickly come to mind are Monsanto, Walmart and Nestle. There are also some industries that I could never work in because I would feel like I was selling my soul.

But what about working for a company that does business with these companies? Do I draw the line there? How do I even find out this information before beginning work somewhere? Will there be any companies left after doing this exercise?

Do you have a line? Does it extend to your career? Do you have a price? Meaning is there a dollar amount that would make you step over that line?

Related Posts - Check them out
Good job - Check!, Sense of Humour - Check! Environment - ???
Think the oil spill doesn't affect you?
I feel like I have been duped

1 comment:

  1. It's an interesting discussion ... especially in this economy when many people can't afford to be too picky. I believe that I do have a line and that there isn't enough money to make me cross it ... but I really haven't sat down and thought seriously about it or who does and doesn't meet my standards. I will, though! Thanks for a thought-provoking article.

    BTW ... you are a member of the Honor Society on my blog tomorrow. Thanks!

    http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete