12.26.2010

1 Bird, Bird, Bird is the Word


I ordered our turkey (10lbs) a week ago from a local butcher (Brady's Meats) and when I went to pick it up on Friday they only had 16-18lb turkeys left. Hello more delicious leftovers! We bought our turkey there because they are local, free range and antibiotic/drug free.  Yesterday Joe and I manhandled that bird to get it into the oven and 4 hours later we dug into the best tasting turkey we have ever had. Obviously part of it has to do with the chef ::shines badge:: but I think a big part of it was the type of turkey we bought.  It was only $3.99/lb, much less than what I thought it would cost. And we have decided it is well worth the next dollar or so over grocery store prices.

For the first time ever I have saved the carcass to make stock. It is on the stove as we speak and it smells delicious up in here. I am having to do it in batches because I don't have a pot big enough to fit it all in! I don't know why I have never done this before. I think I never thought I would use the stock or something. But since we started to buy only organic stock I have been noticing how much we go through. We shall see how much it actually makes and how much room I have in the freezer for it!

Related Posts - Check them Out

1 comment:

  1. Hi- I found your blog from the Bump's blog hop and I'm your newest follower. Your blog is really interesting- thanks for the ideas. If you like, please visit my blog http://stomach-rumblings.blogspot.com as well!

    ReplyDelete