3.28.2011

2 A Watched Pot Never Boils

I'm a pretty impatient person so having to boil a pot of water can seem like an eternity to me. To compound this issue I would never use a lid! What I realized is that water will boil faster with the lid on because there is a reduction in heat loss (and all kinds of other nerdy thermodynamics stuff going on).  How much faster?  Let's do a little experiment shall we.

Materials
2 pots (same size)
1 lid
1 cup of water in each pot
1 stove (pots put on same sized burner)
1 BlackBerry acting as a timer
1 adult who acts like a kid

Results
Pot with the lid - 2 minutes 5 seconds
Pot without the lid - 2 minutes 30 seconds

So not a huge difference but keep in mind that I boiled only 1 cup of water. The difference in time when boiling a full pot of water will be more significant. And in the world of boiling water 25 seconds is a lifetime when you are standing there watching it.

How does this relate to the environment? If you are boiling water quicker you are using less energy to heat that water.

Related Posts - Check them Out
Tip of the Day - Eco-Friendly Paint
Tip of the Day - Oven Cleaner
Tip of the Day - Dry Cleaners


2 comments:

  1. I love your scientific experiment! I too am an impatient water boiler and have learned to use a lid. I never thought to experiment and find out the true difference though. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 'rediscovered' the lid fairly recently as well. I often boil water (especially for tea and other things that call for small quantities) in my electric kettle, which I believe is more efficient than the stove. It is certainly faster! I'm impatient, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete