11.16.2010

4 Eco-Challenge: Plastic Problems

With the launch of our citywide compost program I have started to really notice how much of our waste is non recyclable plastic. It is pretty much the only thing (besides diapers) in our garbage now. It seems senseless to me so I plan on figuring out what I can do to fix it.

The Plan
Wednesday (garbage day) start looking at what exactly is being put into the garbage and is there any way it can be reused or recycled. If not is there a way to cut it out completely (product substitution). I will do this over the next 2 weeks. My hope is that I can get down to 1 kitchen sized garbage bag per week.
Have you reduced your plastic waste? How did you do it?


Related Posts - Check the out

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jen! I just found your blog and i love it in here! I am now following you thanks to Making Friends Monday and it would be so nice if you could share the love back on my blog:)
    And don't forget to stop by today because we continue with our Show Yo' Flow Campaign, and you don't want to miss the interview we have on Stefanie and the amazing surprises she has for our readers:) See you there! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a ton of plastic waste every day :( Thanks God, my building has recycling bins. I wash all the plastic and drop it off there.

    New follower via Thursday Blog Hop :)
    Jen @ My Secret Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. But are you able to recycle all of it? That is my problem. I don't think I can recycle it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - Visiting from the green hop!

    We just got city-wide recycling for plastics 1-7. I had to add an extra recycle bin because of it! Love it!!

    I just finished up a plastics week on my blog if you have time to stop over. I talk about and giveaway eco-friendly alternatives. It was kind of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete