2.01.2011

7 Monsanto + Whole Foods + Stonyfield + The Internet = Mass Confusion

I am overwhelmed with genetically engineered (GE) foods. I don't even know where to start when it comes to cutting it out of our lives. I have started to do the research several times and it just makes me run screaming to the closest bottle of wine (if anyone leaves a comment saying wine is GE you will be dead to me).

When I saw on twitter and in the blogs I follow that shit was going down with Monsanto (aka the devil), Whole Foods, Stonyfield and a few others I turned a blind eye. It is overwhelming for me to even start to decipher what is going on and what the implications are on our family. But tonight I decided that this is no way to live and it certainly can not be an excuse anymore. I realize this will mean giving up my beloved peanut butter cups..time to dust of my recipe to make my own again!

I don't know where to even begin so if you have any resources just leave a comment and I will check them out. If you have started to cut GE's out of your life let me know what you have done. If you are confused and overwhelmed as I am then come and snuggle into my bosom and cry with me.

Not even sure what the hell I am talking about right now?  Here is what caused me to decide to finally come out from my hiding place and address this part of our life.

Organic Consumers Association media release
Stonyfield response to OCA media release
The Good Human

Related Posts - Check them Out
Say hello to our little garden
What's the deal with veal?
Food Inc. AKA OMGWTFISONMYBBQ

7 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm a new follower. I found your blog through the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen... I find this website to be really helpful as far as non-GMO information and resources go:

    http://www.nongmoproject.org/

    It makes my head want to explode too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the ShopNoGMO app. It's fantastic in the grocery store. Choose 'browse the guide' and pick your category. It will bring up a list of non GMO brands for those items.

    I also listen to the Organic Conversations podcast. It helped me learn the Kamut grains have to be grown organically, so now I can look for that specifically.

    Small steps will get you educated on this.

    P.S. Frey wine is organic and biodynamic with no detectable sulfites. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. GMOs are completely confusing but it sounds like they are starting to make companies label the foods now so at least that might make it easier in the future.
    Good luck with the research and life change! We buy local from farmers and butchers as much as we can which helps cut down on all GMOs and chemicals in general. Just knowing where exactly your food comes from is a huge help.
    Stopping by from the Green Mama Blog Hop. Hoping you will stop by and check out my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what I find interesting is in the US they (they being the FDA I guess?) don't want to have to label GMO's. But a bunch of companies have started putting "NON-GMO" on their products- such as some So Delicious coconut milk I recently bought. The whole thing is confusing to me and makes my head about to explode too.

    I'll look up the app that Julie posted for sure!

    Also just watched "The World According to Monsanto" this week on youtube, it's on there in 10 parts. I set up a playlist and just let it go. Everyone should see that film!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great suggestions guys! Thanks so much. I am glad I am not the only one who is confused and frustrated by all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this post. It Very nice Blog. It was a very good Blog. I like it. Thanks for sharing knowledge. Ask you to share good Blog again.

    ReplyDelete